Sunday, April 22, 2012

Paul F. Tompkins 'Laboring Under Delusions'

Paul F. Tompkins is one of the most terrific comedians in the whole damn world that not enough people know about. Although I root for the path to fame to stretch out before him, Paul is one of those treasures you kind of, sort of hope doesn't get too exposed because you want him all to yourself. I've spent many intimate Saturday evenings at Largo in Los Angeles enjoying his monthly show with a few hundred other people. He's all ours, damn you! However, he's brilliant, with a talent that should be shared.

Last night Comedy Central aired Paul's stand up special Paul F. Tompkins: Laboring Under Delusions. I'm in New York. I was on a train when this aired, and when I got back to my hotel hoping that Comedy Central would repeat it while my eyes were still open, a dumb comedy movie came on instead. Alas, with the DVD of uncensored and extended scenes ready for release on Tuesday 4/24, there is something to look forward to.

In the meantime, I was overjoyed to find this extra scene made available online. Paul closes out the special the same as he does each month with his musical partner in comedy Eban Schletter at his show at Largo at the Coronet, with the tear jerking ballad, Danny Boy.

No comments: