Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Goodnight, Lake Wobegon


Garrison Keillor is retiring.

A memory:

Nothing says 'Happy Thanksgiving' then spending post dinner with your Garrison Keillor fan father settling in to watch a Netflix copy of Altman's A Prairie Home Companion. Me - indifferent. My Dad - totally psyched. Then it starts. I spent the first 30 minutes of this film trying not to look confused...for my dad, figuring he was silently enjoying it. All I could think of was how much shite you can shovel into a script. Oh, the talking. Very little on stage performance. And then more talking. At minute 35 my father turns to me and says..."Shut if Off. Let's watch the dog show."

So, thank you Garrison - for giving me an awkward A Prairie Home Companion moment with my Dad. And that's a good thing, because the dog show was fun.

No comments: