Thursday, July 23, 2009

Retro TV: The Beatles Saturday Morning Cartoon

Amongst my Mad Magazines and Peanuts books, my childhood was filled with Beatlemania - Beatlemania that was about twelve years too late because by the time I understood who the Beatles were, they had long since broken up, sued the crap out of each other and wrote songs containing angry cryptic messages about how they each thought the other sucked.

ABC-TV ran a cartoon series for children on Saturday mornings from 1965 to 1969 called The Beatles. I have to wonder how Beatle kids of the day could even get through five minutes of it. The voices and Scouse accents were horrid (did any of the creators actually HEAR the real Beatles speak?), the stories were way beyond silly, yet the music, all in its original recorded glory, livened up the embarrassing shit load doled out via television while children ate their Cheerios. The Beatles hated...hated this show. I will say, the likeness of each Beatle is pretty good and a bit warmer than the creepiness of the Beatles images in "Rock Band". (I am dieing to play this).

Since George Harrison was my favorite, and "Taxman" is an awesome song, here is a clip.

If you want to cut to the chase, the song kicks in at 2:40. The storyline build up gets a bit tiring.

No comments: